  From: Rotan Hanrahan
  To: Nicolas Combelles ; public-bpwg@w3.org
  Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 2:52 AM
  Subject: RE: Access and communication - URLs and more

  Identifying the device is what technologies like CC/PP and UAProf are intended to do. Widespread support for such technologies will facilitate the use of single URLs, removing the need to have differentiating URL paths or DNS names. In your first use case, consider the possibility of sending a representation intended for a big screen workstation to a small screen device with limited memory. This situation is likely to fail. Howver, send a URL to a big screen device and get a big screen representation, and then send the same URL to a small screen device and get a small screen representation, this seems like a more useful situation and less likely to errors.

  You may wonder about the reverse. Suppose I am a small screen user and I want to show my big screen friend what I have just seen on my small screen device. Is there a way for me to do this? Perhaps. But there is still the possibility that the big screen device wouldn't be able to display the content that was intended for the small screen. (For example, many big browsers can't display WBMP images that are commonly used in WML mobile devices.)

  I think there are just too many problems created when you expect a representation for one device to be supported by another device. I think the case where the representation of a URL is presented according to the conditions observed in the delivery context is the more realistic default case. We would need a new technology to be able to support interoperable representations, and that would require that all browsers have all the same interfacing abilities, which is unrealistic.

  I accept there may be some "common formats", such as raw text, that has a wide-enough support accross a range of devices to be useful as a lingua franca, but the richness of the presentation would be mostly lost.

  As for defining "content", an issue to consider is the meaning of content and the meaning of "representations of content". When we talk about adaptation, we're talking about creating representations. Somewhere in the background is the original content that the author created, and hopefully that original content contains enough material to support the various representations that will be required.

  ---Rotan

  PS They've just reactivated the Permit Navigation option on the iMode channel. We really should stop experimenting with our site :-)