Re: Best Practices document - not best practices

All,

I have to echo some of the comments being made, but especially
Nicolas comments. I've been reading this discussion for... has it
been two weeks now and while I haven't read every single post, this
is the first I've seen that speaks to Mobile as another medium
entirely, which is something I strongly believe.

Regardless of how the technology evolves, more powerful devices,
faster networks, consistent display of content, there will always be
a small screen and limited input restrictions. There will always be
people that just want a phone—that might do some other stuff—driving
market factors.

While today, we can use techniques like Standards-based design and
stylesheets to display the same content on multiple mediums, that
approach will never create the best user experience as the content
was simply never designed for the medium.

This past fall I had the opportunity to speak with hundreds of mobile
users at a field study. I can tell you that the mobile user views the
medium very differently than the web user, mobile is seen inherently
as a communication device, whereas a desktop PC is an information
device. The two users have very different goals. While there will
always be crossover and many shades of gray, the most valuable mobile
content tends to be individual, personal and timely—a communiqué.

I believe it is the mobile communities responsibility to advocate the
best experience for the user and support creating mobile versions of
content whenever possible, not simply making the web mobile-friendly.

I think the MWI group is going to keep having challenges separating
the line between convergence with the web, being that the W3C is
heavily a web focused group, and mobile as a medium.

I feel that mobile as a medium has the greatest need for advocacy,
education and community support, which I believe this group can
accomplish. The mobile community should focus on defining the best
practices for the medium first, and work with the web community on
best practices to support the mobile experience second.

Thanks,
Brian Fling

e-mail: brian@flingmedia.com
mobile: 206/351-6060