Re: [minutes] XHTML and MIME types

I think we are forgetting one basic requirements here. Transcoders must
err on the side of not transcoding whenever in doubt. I still think that
application/xhtml+xml is a strong indicator that the content is probably
already suitable for mobile. If W3C does not want to take it as an
absolute indicator, then you may want to compromise on something like:

If    MIME-Type=application/xhtml+xml
  AND
      SIZE <= 20kb
  AND
      No Web-only tags such as iframe nor complex HTML/Javascript

THEN => MOBILE CONTENT (Do Not Touch)

this would still be a much better heuristics than disregarding
application/xhtml+xml altogether.

I suspect someone here is forgetting that transcoders are essentially a
bunch of hacks. They are not standard by any stretch of the
immagination. Transcoders compete with one another on who has the best
hacks. As a developer, one has no way to know what will happen to one's
content once it goes through a transcoder. In this situation there is no
alternative but to demand that those hacks refrain from interfering with
the legitimate intentions of the content owners whenever there is a
trace of a doubt that the content is already mobile-optimised.

wrt 800 URLS, I think we can still make some sense of it without going
through each and every one of them.

I also want to reiterate (in case someone forgets) that this discussion
is about a minor point (one heuristic), compared to the major one (UA
spoofing) which is the difference between life and death in the whole
transcoding matter. IMO, CTG does not offer enough protection against UA
spoofing.  For me, the situation at the moment is that the Manifesto
puts the responsibility of protecting mobile content completely on
transcoders (which is the only reasonable thing to do), while CTG tries
to move (at least part of) the responsibility on content providers
(which is unacceptable).

Luca