RE: [CTG] Draft 2008-11-07 / inconsistencies / validation

From: Eduardo Casais <casays@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:08:09 -0800 (PST)
To: public-bpwg-ct@w3.org

> However, once again (sadly, bordering on shame) there
> are even cases where devices might not behave as
> expected unless some "well-formedness" rules are
> broken.

Perhaps, but I have a hard time figuring out a concrete case for this, since the example you give:

> There are devices that sometimes have trouble
> with body-less tags whose "/" is not preceded by a
> causes issues.

raises no issue at all. An XML document formatted so that empty elements are of the form <element /> is well-formed, according to the XML specification:

[44]   	EmptyElemTag	   ::=   	'<' Name (S Attribute)* S? '/>'	[WFC: Unique Att Spec]

In this case, while there might be restrictions as to the instantiation of the XML syntax, the result does satisfy the well-formedness constraints of the standard.

What well-formed documents means for other types may be an issue though, but if the concept is not even defined for a type, I doubt we can say anything formal at all about the resulting documents (not even talking about validity).

E.Casais