RE: [CTG] Draft 2008-11-07 / inconsistencies / validation

> Can we state that the transformed content returned to the terminal
must at least be well-formed (following XML terminology)?

This would certainly be an aspiration, as it may make life easier for
further adaptive processes such as plug-ins or assistive technology.
However, once again (sadly, bordering on shame) there are even cases
where devices might not behave as expected unless some "well-formedness"
rules are broken. There are devices that sometimes have trouble with
body-less tags whose "/" is not preceded by a space. For example, <br>
and <br /> are ok, but <br/> causes issues. (I think internally the
parser miss-interprets the element name as "br/".) So being well-formed
is not always a guarantee that the browser/device will accept your
content.

I think the best advice we can offer is to produce well-formed and
standards compliant content where possible, and only to deviate from
these where support for the standards has already been compromised by
the requesting device.

Basically, if you deviate from the standards, you better have a good
reason for doing so. Being sloppy is no excuse.

---Rotan

(Note, in the case of HTML instead of XHTML, we must be careful not to
demand XML well-formedness for a language that is not actually XML.)