Re: ACTION 813 - https link re-writing

On 16/07/2008 16:50, Sullivan, Bryan wrote:
> Here is my input on this subject. Overall I'm skeptical whether a
> normal HTTP proxy (as compared to a specialized client-server
> solution for CT) can reliably transform HTTPS links without a number
> of caveats and options for opt-out.

I agree

> The CT Proxy Operator needs to recognize that not only are there
> user-related security implications of rewriting HTTPS links, but
> there may be reliability-related concerns as well, such as breaking
> the trust model for server certificates and site assets trusted based
> upon the trust of the server. There may be very good reasons why the
> application itself may not work when transformed.
>
> 1) This is a fairly complex subject. The CT guidelines need to
> recognize that and not put vendors, service providers, and users in
> unchartered waters without adequate fallback/opt-out, under control
> of the:
If there is a place where it does this can you point out pls

> a) CT Proxy Operator: the most common method will be the allow/deny
> lists that we have already discussed :-)

How CT Proxies work internally (allow/deny lists, magic, thought
transference etc.) is up to them, surely. We are interested in the
externally measurable effects, not the means to achieve them

> b) CP: there should be a mechanism whereby the CP can indicate that a
> specific link should not be rewritten. NOTE this requires something
> in the anchor and link tags, in the page that references the HTTPS
> URI to be rewritten.
I don't think we have a mechanism by which we can achieve this. It seems
as though it might be an entry under "scope of future work". The CP can
tell if a link has been rewritten because a request for an HTTPS page
will come from a CT proxy and it can return a 406 status.

> c) User: the user should be given this option/responsibility (I would
> even call it a burden to most users), only if the CT Proxy Operator
> and CP both approve operating in link-rewriting mode, for the current
> site/resource.

That is what we suggest, isn't it? That if it happens then the user
should be informed and alternatives offered.

> Other points (initial ones, for discussion):
>
> 2) to maintain security/privacy, secure resources (defined by the CP
> with having HTTPS URI) MUST be served to the user-agent over a secure
> connection

There was something under the server response section that said that if
a request was received for an http resource but that it was not
requested in an HTTPS way then it should note this and take approriate
action. But that section is gone with the sands of time and I don't
recall why.

> 3) depending upon whether it is operating in transparent mode or not
> (i.e. from the user-agent perspective, whether the user-agent is
> configured to use the CT proxy as its normal HTTP proxy), the CT
> proxy will need to handle secure resource requests that are initiated
> by: a) in configured HTTP proxy mode, requests are initiated via HTTP
> CONNECT - If the CT proxy has a different address from the configured
> HTTP proxy address, the user-agent will initiate the request via the
> HTTP CONNECT method, and - If the CT proxy is an internal function
> behind a HTTP proxy front end (and operates more link a local content
> server), for already re-written URI's, the HTTP proxy would setup a
> local SSL connection to the CT proxy. - For un-rewritten URI's,
> normal behavior would have the HTTP proxy setup an SSL connection to
> the CP, bypassing the CT proxy. Only if the HTTP proxy was "CT proxy
> function-aware" would it setup an SSL connection to the CT proxy
> instead. b) in transparent HTTP proxy mode, requests are initiated
> via SSL connection (first) for URI's that the CT proxy has already
> re-written. Note that un-rewritten URI's would not be directed to the
> CT proxy unless the transparent HTTP proxy has the same "CT proxy
> function awareness" described above.

I'm afraid I don't understand what, if any, changes you suggest.

> 4) cookies must be re-written to refer to the CT proxy domain, but
> this may break some cookies (implications need to be investigated...
> It is risky just to assume there will be no side-effects)
We don't refer to cookies anywhere at all, I'd rather not do so unless
necessary.

> 5) Note that not all secure links can/will be re-written; only links
> that actually delivered through the CT proxy so that it has a chance
> to re-write them. There are many methods of URI discovery (email,
> SMS, MMS, WAP Push, IM, other device clients...) via which the
> browser may obtain URIs. If one of those is a secure URI, only if the
> CT proxy is configured as a normal proxy will it have a chance to
> intercept/transform the request.

If we can steer clear of how this is all configured in the network that
would be a good thing.

> 6) (5) also relates to Heiko's point about the user-agent bypassing
> the CT proxy service at some point, and not returning (since it's
> going direct from that point on). Unless the CT proxy is operating as
> a normal or transparent proxy (as compared to just a site that I
> browse to and get transformation service thru), then the user-agent
> can surf away from it and never return except by the same method it
> was originally accessed.

I think we are looking at the case where all requests are potentially
intercepted. But again would prefer to avoid mention of the
configuration issues.