Re: Cache-Control: no-transform and "dangerous" content

Sorry for my very delayed reply.  I have been very busy recently (as I'm
sure all of us are).

On Jan 23, 2008 6:30 AM, Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org> wrote:

> and at the end of "3.5 Proxy Response to client":
> "[...] if the proxy determines that the resource as currently
> represented is likely to cause serious mis-operation of the client then
> the proxy may transform the resource but only sufficiently to alter the
> specific aspect of the content that is likely to cause mis-operation.
> Proxies must not exhibit this behavior unless this has been specifically
> allowed by both the server and the user. [@@ either by persistent
> registration of preferences, or by use of the [@@correct dangerous
> content] directive.]"

As long as the "persistent registration of preferences" clause exists, I can
be a happy camper.  I think the odds of site owners actually adding an
additional clause to the "no-transform" directive is small (since I believe
most cases of "no-transform" are applied without though of the
consequences).  I unfortunately have not had a change to gather metrics
about the number of sites that use 'no-transform'.  It's possible that it
isn't widely used, in which case it is probably not a big deal.

4. Aaron (Kemp)
> Before leaving the teleconf' yesterday, you mentioned you were thinking
> exceptions were indeed needed.

Yes - "dangerous" or simply unsupported content.  It's a problem to crash a
phone, but it's also a problem to force the user to download several hundred
kilobytes of useless content.

Sorry for the delay, again, but I wanted to get this down since I won't be
able to make the call tomorrow.

Aaron