RE: [ACTION-603] Conversation with Yves, our HTTP expert, about CT and Cache-Control extensions

True. And that's from the HTTP/1.1 RFC so equally authoritative (I fell
into a common misnomer). Do we have 3 types of CT-node then? ie:

 1. Transparent Proxy - does not modify the request or response beyond
what is required for proxy authentication and identification.
 2. Non-transparent Proxy - modifies the request or response in order to
provide some added service to the user agent but a proxy MUST NOT
override the User-Agent header (it MAY complete the User-Agent header).
 3. Non-transparent Gateway - unlike a proxy, a gateway receives
requests as if it were the origin server for the requested resource. A
gateway re-issues the HTTP request and is thus allowed to set HTTP
headers to whatever it wants.

A CT-node like OpenWeb can operate in any of the three modes depending
on the destination content. Eg if it's already mobile-friendly content
the CT-node would operate in Transparent Proxy mode. If it's a single
object that needs transformation (eg .wmv to .3gp) this can be done in
Non-transparent Proxy mode. If it's desktop-style content full of
Javascript then the CT-node would turn the whole browsing session into
Non-transparent Gateway mode, where it can make up its own URLs to
handle Javascript events and sub-pages.

Robert