Re: [CT] Using robots.txt to flag an adapting site

As with many things in the last week or so, I must apologise for a slow
response (blame lots of travel and all day meetings). Anyway...

As Jo noted, POWDER has just moved a couple of docs to first public
working draft. With this done, draft versions of both our key tech
documents are in the public domain and available for comment. We're
trying to get the Grouping of Resources doc [1] to Last Call this week
although next week (week commencing 8 Oct) is perhaps more likely. The
target is to take comments up until the Tech Plenary. The main
Description Resources doc [2] has only just become a public WD and will,
obviously, need more work until it can go to LC. It has a section that
is particularly relevant to the issues of link/rel headers and HTTP
headers. Here's the state of play as I understand it:

1. The HTML 5 draft removes HTML 4's 'profile' - which allows you to
specify a metadata profile for a doc. N.B. This does NOT allow you to
specify a relationship type (although there seems to be a working
assumption that it does). With Arun's help - and some internal contact
within W3C - we're hopeful of making sure that the relationship type
will be officially extensible. In practice, it seems that even now, if
enough people use the same relationship type, it becomes a de facto
standard. Not ideal - but rel="meta" is well understood without, I
believe, being standardised anywhere.

2. The status of using the Link HTTP Response header is unclear. It was
included in an earlier RFC but is not in the current one. There is
active discussion within the W3C's HTTP WG over this issue and it seems
that the draft they're working on now [3] is likely to re-instate the
header formally. There's more detail on this in the relevant section of
the DR doc [4].

So, from a BPWG perspective, linking to an alternative version shouldn't
be restricted to HTML docs.

Robots.txt is mentioned in the POWDER charter. The essential aim is to
eliminate the idea of well known locations - P3P and robots.txt have
theirs but the idea is to obviate the need for any more. POWDER can
handle this and we'll explain how in the Primer document that will soon
be started. Essentially, a content provider will be able to say 'my
robots.txt information is at <location1>, my p3p file is at <location2>'
  etc. This is an application of POWDER, not a specific feature, even
so, we'll look for any hooks we need to add to make to easier.

This thread raises the issue of contextual access which *is* a specific
feature - e.g. the ability to react differently dependent on whether a
particular UA string is present (one might posit other conditions, such
as user's location, time of day etc.) This should be, but is not yet,
included in one of our docs. We'll have a little discussion about where
people think it should go - I can think of arguments for both cases but
in general, I reckon the Grouping doc is probably the best place for it
- which means you can expect to see this resolved within the 6 days or
so as we do our best to stick to the schedule.

As a result of all this, you will be able to declare, in a
machine-processable way, that 'all resources on example.org are
mobileOK. Those on example.org/foo/* are self-adapting and should not
further adapted; those on example.org/bar/* are mobileOK Pro if accessed
using any of the following devices [List] and mobileOK Basic if accessed
on any other.

Whether POWDER actually has any impact on the widely used and understood
robots.txt remains to be seen. It has that potential to do so but only
if POWDER as a whole becomes widespread.

Phil.
[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/powder/Group/powder-grouping/20070919.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/
[3]
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-03.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#assoc

--
Phil Archer
Chief Technical Officer,

Register now for the first, annual Family Online Safety Institute
Conference and Exhibition, December 6th, 2007, Washington, DC.

Go to: http://www.fosi.org/conference2007/ today!