RE: CT problem statement

Hello Nigel,

Thanks for your response.

I guess I'm a bit more optimistic about the participants in the task
force. I think we have people who represent users, content developers and
mobile operators, and we each have views on what we need to be able to do
to support the constituencies we represent. For example,
my experience is that the adaptation server providers do provide a
reasonable proxy for content providers. Content providers are the main
users of such technology. One of the difficulties I've noted in nearly 7
years working within W3C is that content providers tend to feel that it is
not appropriate to participate directly in discussions that they perceive
as highly technical. That is a shame, but is understandable.

In terms of outputs from the task force and discussion, while the results
will necessarily be a set of technically oriented guidelines, there is no
reason why subsequent, public discussion might not raise non-technical
matters in criticising the materials that we produce.

As to the particular question you raise about masquerading, my personal
view is that there are perfectly legitimate use cases in which this
behaviour is needed. The issue seems to me to be in making it the default,
and in not having some intelligence in the communication so that other
equally legitimate use cases, such as delivery of the original desktop
site or delivery of an optimised mobile experience, are prevented.

That's the area we're concentrating on in the TF. We are currently
collecting material associated with the guidelines that we will produce.
We hope that by appropriate use of existing HTTP headers, the various
players in the delivery chain, including the browser, proxies and origin
servers can announce their capabilities in such a way that each knows when
to provide additional processing and when to step aside.

Taking my TF leader's hat off, from a personal perspective, I'm with you.
My day job is all about helping people create optimised mobile content and
the last thing I want is a proxy attempting to transform materials already
appropriate for the device.

Best wishes
Rhys

  _____