RE: Comments to Problem Statement Document 1f

Hi Bryan

Interesting points.

I suppose that I see this as an issue where the choice is in the hands
of the user and the content provider. Not the intermediary. The
intermediary can be seen as acting on behalf of the user if the user has
given their consent to the proxy so acting. So, if I have signed up to a
bad-word removal service and use it as a proxy and it refuses to honour
the no-transform directive, that's OK. As it's my choice.

Equally the content provider's choice is being thwarted. Consequently I
agree that in this case the proxy should (Or MUST return a response with
a status indicating that it could not comply with both the user's and
the content provider's wishes). However, I think that this is at the
level of a guideline and not a requirement and hence think that this
should feature in that document, not the problem statement. i.e. it's
not a problem today because no one does it. It is a consequence of some
likely proposed solution so should be dealt with in that context.

In any case if the content provider is not prepared to honour the
no-transform directive then the one thing that the proxy must not do is
alter the content and forward it - causing the error message we agree
should be displayed. That means that the server has in fact been
successful in prohibiting transformation.

The wording "request" suggests that the proxy has a choice. And though I
guess we need to work though detailed use cases before saying "never" I
think that in general at least the proxy, and its owner, does not have
that choice of independent action.

Jo