From: public-bpwg-ct-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-bpwg-ct-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jo Rabin
Sent: 02 October 2007 14:42
To: public-bpwg-ct@w3.org
Subject: FW: ACTION-540 CT taskforce guidelines section 2.1

I've been meaning to comment on this for ages. Thanks Magnus, I think
that spelling it out in words and only then looking at the HTTP
mechanisms available is the right approach to looking at the problem
holistically.

Two elaborations come to mind:

1. Should we have a "points of principle" bit where we say things like
we prefer HTTP based mechanisms to content based mechanisms, because
those mechanisms are open whereas scraping HTML is not. What if the
content is SVG, for example? (Nonetheless I think it's fine to use clues
in existing markup as additional "evidence".)

2. I wonder if we should draw up a truth table for components of the
delivery context and enumerate the cases for "transformation aware" so
we can refer to behaviours in each of the cases - i.e.

                        UA       Proxy   Server

Case 0 :            N         N         N         Nobody transforms,
static pages, everyone's happy

Case 1:             N         N         Y         Server Varies, no-one
transforms, everyone's happy

Case 7:             Y         Y         Y         Your worst nightmares
realized ...

Jo