Re: CTG: non-traditional browsing applications

Replying to the initial message but I took good note of your reply to my
previous reply ;)

Eduardo Casais wrote:
[...]
> In the field, application developers have been facing aggressively configured CT
> proxies that interfer with AJAX communications -- on the basis that the content
> transmitted over HTTP does not fit into pre-defined categories of "mobile browsing",
> is henceforth viewed as "desktop content", and then thoroughly garbled by
> misdirected transformations.

One of the reasons why the group decided to remain silent on that topic
in the past is that we had no evidence that there was an actual problem
in practice, i.e. that transcoding proxies were indeed breaking JSON or
data-related exchanges identified with appropriate media types.

I have seen complaints from Web authors about transcoding proxies
breaking actual content, but I haven't seen complaints about transcoding
proxies breaking data-related exchanges (unless the initial page is
already broken, that is). If you have evidence to support this, that
would certainly help!

> II.	PROPOSAL
>
> The following text is included in the normative part of the document:
>
> "A content transformation proxy MUST handle HTTP requests from a terminal, and
> corresponding responses to them, transparently whenever the HTTP transaction
> conveys a payload advertised as one of the following MIME types:

The usual problem with MUST is that I think we would fall in the "HTTP
profile" trap. If the group accepts the thrust of your comment, could
this perhaps be turned into a bullet point in 4.2.9 next to the one on
the Internet Content Types associated with Mobile Content?

Proposed text:
[[
In the absence of a Vary or no-transform directive [...] proxies SHOULD
NOT transform content matching any of the following rules unless the
user has specifically requested transformation:
  # the Content-Type has a value listed in Internet Content Types
associated with application data exchange.
]]

Followed by an appendix that lists the suggested content types.

[...]
> application/xml
> text/xml

We had removed "application/xml" and "text/xml" from past discussions
because they may be used to serve XHTML content as explained in the
introduction of XHTML Media Types:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#intro

If we keep them in the list, one risk is to end up with a document that
indirectly suggests to use "application/xml" or "text/xml" for XHTML
content to bypass proxies, whereas a more precise media type should be
used whenever possible as recommended by the XHTML Media Types document.

Francois.