Re: transcoders bad

Sean,

I know you represent the transcoding side of things, but from my
perspective this is such a no-brainer. Let's walk through it, shall we?
I set the no-transform header, ok. That tells the transcoder to go away
and leave me alone. (At that point, I'm totally ok with not knowing that
I'm actually talking to a transcoder, if it agrees to pass all my
traffic completely unchanged.)

But now, having done that, I have to parse an X-Device-User-Agent?  I
have to change my existing implementation, retest, and so on, to
facilitate an entity that historically has done nothing but hurt my
business? For realz?

I'm representative of a whole class of developers. Any mobile developers
who currently do content negotiation based on the user-agent (pretty
much anyone who's trying to make money in mobile) now have to change our
existing implementations because we should all want to hold hands with
transcoders - entities whose existence is by definition opposite to what
we do?  Where mistakes made by transcoders are borne by us, not them?

For those of us who are trying to run a business and make money by
creating tailor-made mobile sites for mobile users, it's clear that the
W3C proposal does not represent our interests.

Mobile developers should be given priority over transcoders. Transcoders
have a valid role in the space of delivering mobile content from
providers who don't create separate mobile sites. Therefore transcoding
is, by definition, deferent to mobile development. They need to *get out
of the way* in every sense, if we tell them to. That needs to be
reflected in the W3C proposal. Otherwise, it's a joke.

Terren