Re: please reivew mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0

From: Sean Owen <srowen@google.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:26:29 -0400
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Ben 'Cerbera' Millard" <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>, "mobileOK WG" <public-bpwg-comments@w3.org>

The tests require the page to validate as XHTML and thus as XML, so
mobileOK pages are being authored against a device that will validate,
in theory. Some browsers may parse this as text/html tag soup, which
should not present a problem (right?) -- the document happens to be
nice and correct XHTML.

The reverse isn't true, right -- valid HTML is not necessarily valid
XHTML. But the test isn't proposing the reverse. I understand the
danger you cite in serving malformed XHTML, but surely serving
well-formed valid XHTML does not present this problem.

Dom says that some mobile devices will reject "text/html" document or
otherwise treat them as not suitable for mobile, since they expect a
type consistent with mobile-friendly formats like XHTML MP and Basic.

Sean