Re: Workflows for localizing RDF (Fwd: Fwd: "Organization Ontology" Japanese translation available)

That was part of the discussion we had at the beginnings of the community
group. In my opinion, it is difficult to state "Do XYZ/Don't do XYZ..." in
a general way because some times it will depend on the context and other
factors. That's why in this paper [1], we chose the term "patterns" to be
able to identify common practices and to offer some suggestions on which
contexts one approach may be better than other.

In the BPMLOD Wiki [2], we are creating a table identifying the main
practices (or patterns) and filling them with those kind of advice
(arguments in favour/arguments against). I think this exercise may be
interesting but it would be great if we could also offer a more detailed
study accompanied by real examples. In the last meeting we asked for
voluntary contributors who could help us filling the table.

Using pattern terminology, it is possible that some of the practices that
we are documenting in the table, could be called "bad smells". But anyway,
I think it is a good exercise to identify them and to see in which contexts
they can be safely applied.

Anyway, the statements that you mention are very good candidates to include
in the table and to document in which contexts they are better applied. I
think they were more or less covered in sections 4.6.2 (multilingual
vocabularies) and 4.6.3 (localize existing vocabularies) in [1] but we
haven't yet arrived to discuss those sections in the community group yet :)

Best regards, Jose Labra

[1] J. E. Labra-Gayo, D. Kontokostas, and S. Auer, "Multilingual linked
open data patterns", Semantic Web - Interoperability, Usability,
Applicability, 2013. Available:
http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/multilingual-linked-data-patterns

[2] BPMLOD Wiki. Best practices table.
http://www.w3.org/community/bpmlod/wiki/Best_practises_-_previous_notes