A Record acts itself as a dataset although it refers to what could be seen as the minimum compact, complete and auto-descriptive unit in a dataset, i.e., a record. Bioschemas usage In Life Sciences, records will represent a BioChemEntity

Are there any objections to us changing the DataRecord profile to use the schema.org/Dataset<http://schema.org/Dataset> type and removing the suggestion of a DataRecord type?

Alasdair

On 10 Sep 2018, at 16:31, Shimoyama, Mary <shimoyama@mcw.edu<mailto:shimoyama@mcw.edu>> wrote:

Absolutely agree with (b) – the elements on a web page change regularly – for most of the MODs, these can change daily, weekly, monthly. He is right that the elements displayed on a webpage are integrated from queries and present views of data from multiple datasets within the overall structure of the resource. As for (c) on a gene page there are elements that each have unique identifiers

From: Clark, Timothy W. [mailto:TWCLARK@mgh.harvard.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 10:06 AM
To: Rafael Jimenez <rafael.jimenez@elixir-europe.org<mailto:rafael.jimenez@elixir-europe.org>>
Cc: Shimoyama, Mary <shimoyama@mcw.edu<mailto:shimoyama@mcw.edu>>; Leyla Garcia <ljgarcia@ebi.ac.uk<mailto:ljgarcia@ebi.ac.uk>>; Gray, Alasdair J G <A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk<mailto:A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk>>; Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com<mailto:danbri@google.com>>; public-bioschemas@w3.org<mailto:public-bioschemas@w3.org>; Natasha Noy <noy@google.com<mailto:noy@google.com>>; Vicki Tardif Holland <vtardif@google.com<mailto:vtardif@google.com>>
Subject: Re: DataRecord and Dataset Search

ATTENTION: This email originated from a sender outside of MCW. Use caution when clicking on links or opening attachments.
(a) Pointing out that since a set may have cardinality = 1, a data record is certainly a data set.

(b) I wonder if using the concept “record” to mean the contents of a web page could be problematic when pages are constructed by queries and views on underlying data resources and assembled not based on normalization rules but for best UX purposes and contain a melange of many elements some of which are repeating.

(c)  For example, supposing we assign FOO:0010 to identify a web page containing some information, all of which is not in 1st normal form, i.e. it contains some unique attributes and some repeating groups? And those group elements have their own identifiers assigned, e.g FOO:0001, FOO:0002, etc?  What are we looking at ? Does FOO:0010 identify a dataset or a data record?

(d) But if you stick with dataset “all the way down” you may be better off, FOO:0010, FOO:0001, and FOO:0002 are all datasets.

Something to consider.

Tim