Re: [Urgent] Proposed changes to Bioschemas

Hi Alasdair,

On 31/10/2018 14:12, Gray, Alasdair J G wrote:

>> Speaking for the samples group, I don't think everyone involved has
>> had time to evaluate the impact of this proposal on the samples
>> driving usecases, including the MarRef deployment and Biobanks
>> exchange work. At first reading I think this will make it harder to
>> demonstrate utility for these deployments. If the samples usecases
>> were deprioritized in favour of other more compelling examples,
>> that's reasonable, but the proposal document doesn't indicate how
>> this was determined and I'd like to have a chance to review the
>> results of that decision-making process.
>
> Sample was not prioritised at this point as I felt that we had a
> strong working example of this being used in live deployment based on
> the BioChemEntity, i.e. Sample has not been deprioritised. I do not
> believe that the proposal would affect Sample profile or the
> deployments, but please correct me if I am wrong. My intention had
> been to follow up with the Sample group, but time has not permitted
> this to happen. We are more than happy to have discussions on whether
> there is a need for a Sample type.

Melanie is doing a more detailed analysis now and commenting on the
proposal document. The existing Sample deployments require some
mechanism to identify those BioChemEntities that are samples (whether
this is via a property describing the type as an ontology URI or having
a dedicated Sample type doesn't really matter, but the MarRef
implementation assumes Sample as a new type) and the ability to link
from PropertyValue to CategoryCode. We've built implementations on the
assumption these will form part of the proposal and I think it would be
good to keep these in order to send the right message to those early
adopters who are using bioschemas markup for something other than search
indexing.

Thanks,

Tony

--

Tony Burdett
Technical Co-ordinator - Samples, Phenotypes and Ontologies Team,