Re: Why is PhysicalThing.additionalType recommended rather than mandatory

On 19/09/2017 12:35, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> I see that PhysicalThing.additionalType is shown as recommended [1]
> whereas BiologicalEntity.biologicalType [2] was mandatory.  What is
> the reason for this change?  I thought that this was one for the most
> critical properties (since most entity types will not have their own
> Bioschemas subclass).
>
> [1] http://bioschemas.org/bsc_specs/PhysicalEntity/specification/
> [2]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XASuESIHU3bi1aXMxQS5-rCOQX0ugjMNkh68VF4co4Q
>
> -- Justin

I might be wrong but I think the specifications are still work in
progress. I am taking your comment as a suggestion for PhysicalEntity.
Still, we should take a second look to M/R/O for PhysicalEntity and
Record and get to some agreements as a group. I think the point you
raised makes sense, additionalType should be mandatory (and it has been
modified as such). However, I am wondering if anyone has a case where
the biological type cannot be provided. Also, is ONE enough? Should be
allowed MANY for that field? And, if we allow many, will sameAs be
assumed by applications?

Regards,