Re: Very rough prototype implementation of DataCatalog/Dataset schema.org markup in InterMine

On 16 May 2017 at 15:54, Justin Clark-Casey <jc955@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi all.  In advance of the Bioschemas meeting next week, I've hacked up a
> very rough implementation of schema.org markup in InterMine [1].
> Specifically, this is in an installation of InterMine called Synbiomine
> [2], a data warehouse for synthetic biology that I've been working on.
> This compiles information from many sources (EBI, NCBI, etc.) into
> integrated biological object reports (genes, proteins, parts, etc.).
>
> In lieu of of 'proper' Bioschemas structures, I've put in DataCatalog and
> Dataset.  In fact, I'm abusing Dataset to represent integrated objects
> (e.g. protein Q816S6_BACCR) but I wanted to experiment with linking
> structures (in this case DataCatalog and Dataset).  The front page embeds
> the DataCatalog and individual report pages (e.g. [3]) embed Dataset.  You
> can see the Google Structured Data Testing Tool (GSDTT) analysis of the
> front page at [4] and a particular report pages at [5].
>
> My top 5 immediate observations:
>
> * Embedding JSON-LD itself is not hard.

yes the technical adoption is simple and a good selling point.

> More challenging is interpreting which schema.org properties to use and
> how to use them (e.g. CreativeWork.about or Thing.description)?

indeed. I think this is the opportunity and the strong point of Bioschemas.
We want to suggest a small and a well defined subset of properties from the
more than 100 available for a complex type like dataset.

Look forward to taking to you later. This is great feedback for todays
workshop. I am curious about how this aligns to the work we have done so
far for datasets and data repositories.

Regards,
Rafa

--

*Rafael C Jimenez*
ELIXIR Chief Technical Officer

ELIXIR Hub, South Building
Wellcome Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 49 2574 <%2B44%20%280%29%201223%20492574>
E-Mail: rafael.jimenez@elixir-europe.org [image: ELIXIR]
<http://www.elixir-europe.org/>