Fwd: Join IEEE-SA Big Data Governance and Metadata Management Program

This may be of interest to our life sciences communities.

Alasdair

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Arnold Rots <arots@cfa.harvard.edu>
> Subject: Fwd: Join IEEE-SA Big Data Governance and Metadata Management Program
> Date: 13 June 2017 at 15:39:20 BST
> To: interop@ivoa.net
>
> FYI
> We may want to keep an eye on this program
>
> Cheers,
>
>   - Arnold

> Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray Science Center
> Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496 7701
> 60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617 495 7356
> Cambridge, MA 02138                                         arots@cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:arots@cfa.harvard.edu>
> USA                                                   http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/ <http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/>

> From: IEEE Standards Association <ieee-sa-exec@ieee.org <mailto:ieee-sa-exec@ieee.org>>
> Date: Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 10:00 AM
> Subject: Join IEEE-SA Big Data Governance and Metadata Management Program
> To: "arots@cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:arots@cfa.harvard.edu>" <arots@cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:arots@cfa.harvard.edu>>
>

>  <http://emailaccount.cmail19.com/t/t-l-kyhtilt-ulliykutr-k/>
>
> Big Data Governance and Metadata Management Program <http://emailaccount.cmail19.com/t/t-l-kyhtilt-ulliykutr-u/>
> The IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) Industry Connections program has launched a new activity. The goal of the Big Data Governance Metadata Management (BDGMM) program is to apply Big Data governance and metadata management to enable consistent data integration/mashup among heterogeneous datasets from diversified domain repositories and make data discoverable, accessible, and usable through a machine readable and actionable standard data infrastructure.
>
> Program Initiatives and outcomes may include:
>
> Workshops with potential hackathons co-located at IEEE sponsored and/or related conferences to collect, analyze, and identify relevant use cases, requirements, and potential solutions, including documentation on the findings
> White paper(s) that frame the problems and identify issues and potential solutions from workshops
> Reference architecture(s) concepts and solutions from relevant best practices in big data governance and metadata management to formulate data interoperable infrastructure to enable data integration/mashup between diversified domain repositories, including those maintained by participating entities and IEEE Dataport
> Identification and initiation of IEEE standards activities (including recommended practices, guides) related to big data governance and metadata management, including the development of Project Authorization Requests (PARs) and recruitment of Working Groups within an appropriate IEEE Standards Committee
> Stakeholders - Who should join

> [...]

Alasdair J G Gray
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Assistant Professor in Computer Science,
School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
(Athena SWAN Bronze Award)
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh UK.

Email: A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk <mailto:A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk>
Web: http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ajg33 <http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ajg33>