Re: proposed change to a spec

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Rees wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>> For example, Ruttenberg's Scylla seems a perfectly fine model for IRs.
>> Maybe some IRs are Aristotelian abstractions, but other IRs might be
>> other things. You would have to argue that the Scylla cannot be the
>> right model, for some reason.
>
> pointer?

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/awwsw/ir-axioms/

Alan Ruttenberg's position, that certain kinds of things might be
licensed (by a standing committee, perhaps) to call themselves
'information resources', but that there is no principle that unites
all such kinds. I call this design point "Ruttenberg's Scylla". I
neither agree nor disagree with it, but my switch to talking about
axioms/requirements rather than 'vitalism' or ontology was an
acknowledgment that he might be right.

As for the "all information is description" thing... I'm touchy
because I'm fresh off of a comments spat on my blog on this subject.
It always smells like an attempt to snuff httpRange-14 by arguing that
everything has a representation (sensu webarch) because representation
(sensu hunoz) and description are the same thing. You probably know
what I think of that argument by now.

Best
Jonathan