Conditioning

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 01:08:51 +0000
To: AWWSW TF <public-awwsw@w3.org>
Hi all,

I'm really struggling with something, which I can only call
"conditioning", if you remember recently there was a proposal to
leverage Content-Location so that one could GET 200 OK on slash URIs,
tonight I went back to look at that again, wrote a big reply then had
to stop myself.

   request URI identifies a resource that is subject to content
   negotiation and the representation selected for this response can
   also be found at the identified URI.

I did it again, I read that as:

   For a GET or HEAD request, this is an indication that the effective
   request URI identifies a resource that is subject to content
   negotiation and the representation selected for this response is
   identified by the URI in the Content-Location header.

Then I realised, this is what caused the suggestion of the
Content-Location approach in the first place.

Takeaways, When you deal with HTTP:

  - resources /sometimes/ have an identifier

  - a representation is /sometimes/ associated with an identified
resource (one for which you have a URI)

  - a representation /never/ has an identifier.

The Content-Location approach can't work, because the Content-Location
doesn't identify a representation.

Nathan