Re: hold up

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:30:16 -0500
To: nathan@webr3.org
Cc: AWWSW TF <public-awwsw@w3.org>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
> Thus, an http/rest resource can *only* be something that has the property of
> having it's state (even partially) managed via a transfer protocol,
> something in the realm of the machine.
>
> the weather in london cannot be a rest resource, unless you can represent or
> manipulate it's current state via HTTP, which you can't, you can only
> represent or manipulate information about the weather in london with a
> transfer protocol.

Do you mean a literal "OR" (logical disjunction) between representing
OR manipulating? Or are you implying that both are necessary?
If a true disjunction, then can you give examples of things where one
can not "represent its current state via HTTP"? What sort of
conditions would prevent this? Not being able to do so for all values
of "current"? Not being able to do so for *any* value of "current"?
Not having "state" (what sorts of things can have "state". Which can
not?).

The statements you are bringing to our attention have the *sound* of
something significant, but when looked at analytically I fear they do
not have well worked out meaning.

-Alan