Re: Problem definition

Analysis of URI Architectures, working from:
   http://neurocommons.org/page/WebURIArchitectures

Null hypothesis
=======================

   [
     a :Representation ;
     :wasRetrievedFrom [ a :NetworkResource ; address "http://..." ]
   ]

exactly matches the uniform interface of HTTP, network accessible
resources are not identified by URIs, neither are representations -
because link between "resource" (rest/http speak) is 1-* with network
accessible resources, and link between resources and representations is
1-* - even when the "real" mappings are both 1-1,you cannot prove or
tell this to be true.

unclear what one would use the URI to refer to, but given the presence
of those statements one could set the domain/range of common properties
like "stylesheet" to be :Representation and thus disambiguate them
(change the subject to be the blank node identifier of the representation).

null hypothesis clears up one level of the web, such that <u> is not
used to refer to network accessible resources or representations, but
still leaves a partial chimera state where <u> can refer to the
"document" or "primary topic"/ "any thing".

TimBL / httpRange-14 / Cool URIs for Semweb

   <u> a :InformationResource .

this is the current (perceived) status quo, but InformationResource is
unclear and often used to refer to representations, documents, and
primary topics (where primary topic can itself be considered an
information resource)

has negative side effects on community of not being understood, and
network of requiring 2 GETs per URI (+ potential knock on effects on
provenance etc) and people using the wrong URI to refer to the thing
named (the 303'd to one)

Primary topic
=============

   <u> a :Thing .

this design does remove the chimera state, by saying that <u> always
names a thing, but this means that <u> doesn't refer to the document and
in reality people still use <u> to refer to the :Document (and
representation and network accessible resource) - so fails.

What the page says
==================

   <u> a :Thing

this design does remove the chimera state, by saying that <u> always
names a thing, but this means that <u> doesn't refer to the document and
in reality people still use <u> to refer to the :Document (and
representation and network accessible resource) - so fails.

"what the page says" and "primary topic" are the same, just primary
topic has the perspective that a page/graph only primarily describes a
single thing.

Chimera theory
===============

   <u> a :Representation, :NetworkResource, :Thing, :Document .

this is the current reality, and what we want to get away from!

Linked data URIs refer to information resources

I believe the text written about this to be wrong, and understand it to
mean that the dereferencable absolute-URI part of an http URI refers to
information resources, indeed this is consistent with the way Timbl
talks about the web and publishes data

   <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card> a :Document .
   <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i> a :Person .

This approach, the one Tim uses (fragments for things) is the only
approach that currently removes the chimera state between the web of
data and the web of documents, however the chimera state between web of
documents and representations still exists when using RDFa and URIs for
Documents whenever representation metadata is present.

Again, not mentioning anything about what the "goal" of all of this is,
it's certainly to remove the chimera state from the web of data, to get
rid of httpRange-14 -or- constrain what IR means in order to solve the
cc:license problem. Could probably write up the goal(s) quite easily and
use them to check mark solutions.

Best,

Nathan