Re: Feb 2011 AWWSW status report - F2F prep reading

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 16:18 +0000, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> > Jonathan,
> >
> > You need to introduce "S" earlier, where you introduce "R".  Something
> > like: "R contains a description of literary work, S".  At present, the
> > first mention of S is when Bob says "No he didn't, he said it applied to
> > S".
>
> I did that intentionally, to encourage readers to sympathizing with
> Alice. Since S is described where it's introduced, I don't think this
> is confusing. Good suggestion but I think I won't take it... maybe I
> can bring out the surprise element somehow though.

Okay.  Then if you're going for the surprise element, I do think you
should explicitly acknowledge that to the reader.

> > Also, "u:u" is using a the Turtle shorthand to refer to the URI.  For
> > non-RDF folks I think it may be clearer to just spell out an example
> > URI, such as http://example/u , and use that in the example Turtle also:
> >
> >  <http://example/u> xhtml:license
> >    <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>
>
> I considered this. Actually u:u is meant to be a dereferenceable URI,
> with scheme u, not a qname.

Oh, I didn't realize that.

> In an earlier version I explained this but
> took the explanation out for brevity, probably a mistake. (In an even
> earlier version I used a metavariable U, which is better in some ways
> and worse in others.) Using example.com just seemed too long - there
> are 14 occurrences. Using a TLD does make it a bit shorter, so that's
> good. (Then you don't even need the 'u'.) I'll give it a try and look
> it over to see how it reads.

Bear in mind that you don't need a ".com" at the end: http://example/u
is actually a legal (example) URI.  I wasn't aware of this until DanC
pointed it out to me once.

David