Re: httpRange-14 rule dealt a huge blow NOT

Here's the primary material by the way
http://www.crossref.org/CrossTech/2010/03/dois_and_linked_data_some_conc.html
which says "302 or 303 depending", and
http://www.crossref.org/CrossTech/2011/04/content_negotiation_for_crossr.html
which doesn't mention 303 at all.

Two interesting things
(1) The change required the cooperation of the IDF (the owner of
dx.doi.org), and wasn't unilateral with Crossref (who provides the
data)
(2) Crossref has taken a risk in changing the redirect from a 302
(formerly) to a 303 - I'm expect there are a ton of applications that
crawl through these URIs and it is plausible that many of them will
break

I know of two big sites that use a landing page's URI as a name for
the information resource that the landing page is about. I guess I had
been so worried that IDF would do the obvious thing and just continue
with their 302 redirects that I reflexively assumed that they had.

Of course the important news is that these records are now available
without a login - this is hugely important data. And that means there
will be Turtle parsers in lots of places they haven't been before.
This is exactly what RDF needs: people who start using RDF clients not
because they care about RDF but because they care about the data.

Jonathan