Re: Top level points

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> Can you give me an example of anything that could exist outside of the web
> one day, and on the web the next?

I could create a file on my laptop while it's disconnected, then move
it to a server.

Or, I could set up a server on a LAN, and debug and develop it for a
few months. None of the files would be "on the web" and none of the
URIs would resolve outside my local setup. Then I could expose the
server to the web, and poof - all those things would suddenly be on
the web.

And the reverse can happen, of course. The resource could be
accessible one day, and sequestered the next.

Or, to use a TimBL-style example, the information resource that is now
accessible via http://psyche.entclub.org/52/52-001.html certainly
wasn't always on the web - it predates the web by 46 years.

> Other than that though, it increasingly seems like stepping back to '89,
> keeping the status quo, or going with the property sets the class/universe
> approaches are about the only realistic options at the end of this, for RDF.

I'm in favor of the status quo, possibly augmented with host-specific
rule and encouragement of suffix #. But the only way it's going to
stick is if the alternatives get a fair hearing, and if we want others
to be open to persuasion, then we have to be open as well. I hope it
hasn't seemed like I actually favor the incompatible changes, but I
think it's very important for Harry and the others to be represented
and given their absence (so far) I feel an obligation to be their
advocate.

Jonathan