Re: another crack at 'information resource'

On Nov 11, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Jonathan Rees wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

>>> Suppose we are talking about some book, say Pale Fire by Nabokov,
>>> about its prose style, wit, length, etc., but have never needed to
>>> discuss anything about the particular physical copies each of us has
>>> in hand. I may not even know what language your copy is written in.
>>> Suddenly you say "and it's cheap - I only paid $2000 for it" -
>>> something I can't corroborate. I'm completely baffled by this until,
>>> after a long and confusing conversation, we finally figure out that by
>>> "Pale Fire" you meant your particular signed copy of it, not the book
>>> in general.
>>>
>>> I think a linguist would tell you that this scenario will not happen
>>> with ordinary competent speakers of English. You would have said "*my
>>> copy* was cheap". The price is simply not a property of Pale Fire. If
>>> you try to formalize this, you'll have three distinct individuals:
>>> Pale Fire, my copy of it, and your copy of it.
>>>

>> Agree with all that. But that seems to be on a different topic than the one we (I) was referring to. For a book example, suppose that one edition of Pale Fire was a hand-made presentation copy made by a famous (and expensive) bookmaker, and collectable as part of a hand-made-book collection, regardless of its literary merits. Then if someone were to ask about the provenance of this copy, a full answer might well refer to Nabokov *and* the guy who made that particular book.
>
> Ah, I think I get it, let me try echoing it back to you. You could
> have an "information resource" (Pale Fire) with dc:creator Nabokov but
> NOT dc:creator FamousBookmaker, and one of its "representations" could
> have dc:creator Nabokov AND dc:creator FamousBookmaker.

Right. And for some purposes - for example, handmade book collector catalogs - one might even want to have the FamousBookmaker be the sole, or the primary, creator. Just as a photographer might own an image he took of a famous painting by someone else.

> I think that's consistent with what I was saying (or maybe I said it
> wrong), if dc:creator isn't functional (and it isn't). dc:creator
> Nabokov would transfer from all of the IR's 'representations' to the
> IR itself, and back again.

I guess I was wanting to cast some doubt on this principle. But its a niggle, and one could get round it by distinguishing (for example) the book-as-bookish-object from the book-as-edition-of-Nabokov.

> But  I would have to stipulate that the
> negation "not dc:creator" was not a "content property", so that the
> property of not having  creator FamousBookmaker would not transfer
> from the generic book (IR) back to the specific book (the
> 'representation' with creator FamousBookmaker).  I don't know what
> principle would justify treating dc:creator and its negation
> differently, but it's what I want to be true.

Oh, I think that a negation property ought to be treated differently. The class of non-cows is a very different kind of thing than the class of cows. It is way, way larger, for one thing.

> If a book can only have one title, and the FamousBookmaker changed the
> title, I'd recommend that either the generic book not have any title,
> or that we deny that the modified 'representation' was a
> 'representation' of the generic book. Or that the IR 'located at' a
> particular URI did not refer to Pale Fire at all, but to some oddity.
>
> I didn't want to dwell on dc:creator or provenance, though, as that
> was just an example. dc:title or dc:date would have worked as well for
> my purposes.

Right.

> I could enumerate lots of properties ("content properties") that I
> think should follow the  universal quantification rule - e.g. most or
> all of the DC and BIBO properties - but (in light of the negations of
> these properties) I don't know how to enable someone else to
> generalize to additional properties, i.e. what the boundaries of the
> meta-category of content properties are.
>
> Before spending a lot of time trying to figure that out, though, I
> want to convince at least one other person that this idea (universal
> quantification to extend representation properties to IR properties)
> has promise as a possible way to motivate the httpRange-14 rule.

Hmm, I havn't understood that connection (to http-range-14) yet, it seems. Give me a while to re-read the thread.

Pat