Re: [pedantic-web] Re: The OWL Ontology URI

On May 11, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 15:25 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> Let me give an intuitive case in support of the Nays here. An RDF
>> graph is a set, which is not the same as a document, for sure. The
>> *same* graph can be encoded in a variety of different syntactic
>> forms.
>
> Meanwhile, the same resource can have a variety of representations.
>
>> Consider two documents, one in RDF/XML, the other in NTriples,
>> describing the same graph. If we identify the document with the graph
>> it describes, then these have to be the same.
>
> But if we say that those documents _represent_ the graph,
> they don't have to be the same.

Yes, quite. The document is not the graph. No document is ever a graph.

>> But they aren't the
>> same. So even if a graph is an information resource (and I agree that
>> one can make out a case for that position), it certainly isn't the
>> same information resource as any document (In RDF/XML or NTriples or
>> any other notation) that represents it syntactically.
>
> But it can be represented by them.

Indeed. But it is distinct from them, is my (only) point.

>> So, one ought to
>> use redirection to refer to it, according to http-range-14.
>
> I don't see that this follows.

Well, according to http-range-14, as I understand it, if a bare URI
gives a 200-level response to an HTTP GET, then it (the URI) denotes/
refers to the resource that emits that response. And in these RDF-
graph-representations, this is always the syntactic entity at the
other 'end' of the HTTP response. (Because these things - the
syntactic documents which encode the various syntactic representations
of RDF graphs - are fully fledged information resources in their own
right, so are refer-to-able by URIs, and are therefore indeed so
referred to by them, if they respond with a 200-coded response.) So,
such URIs cannot refer to the graph itself (because, as we have
already agreed, the graph is never identical to a document of any
kind, ie to any information resource that can return a 200-coded
response.)

Pat