Re: Learning from other disciplines?

On Mar 2, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On 2/3/09 07:23, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> And one of the best ways to get some experience is for as many
>> people as
>> possible to be trying to model things in as many ways as possible,
>> and
>> we will all see which ways work well and which ways don't. Which is
>> exactly what people developing SWeb applications using RDF are
>> trying to
>> do. No doubt many of these will be flops, because of poor modeling
>> decisions. But I want to /discover/ what works and what doesn't,
>> rather
>> than try to influence or, God forbid, legislate by fiat what I or
>> anyone
>> else thinks are "good" modeling styles. None of us know yet what is
>> good
>> and what isn't. The formalisms continue to surprise us.
>
> Can you say a little more about how you see this working? How would
> we recognise if things were "working well" or not?

How do we tell if anything is working on the Web? People use it, they
achieve their goals, they make money, science progresses, people are
able to communicate better. Stuff like that. In this particular case,
one metric might be take-up rate, reflecting how easy it is (or not)
for new users to grok a modeling style and adopt it to their needs
without a high initial barrier to adoption.

Pat