more Back to HTTP semantics

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:14:08 -0400
To: AWWSW TF <public-awwsw@w3.org>
I put in a little more work on http://esw.w3.org/topic/AwwswRfc2616
this morning. I'm trying to make it into something that can be shot
at.

facts of the request/response event. Focus on what we can learn about
the resource.
2. Fundamental idea is: Entity corresponds_to Resource  at time t
but since this is time-sensitive, we instead talk about "observations"
that an entity corresponds_to some resource at some time...
3. Expires: and Last-modified: tell you that the entity will
correspond_to the resource, or has done so, for a while.
4. 302, 307 provide another way to discover correspondences - by doing
GET of a different resource. Content-location is somehow related.
5. DELETE/200 tells you the resource doesn't exist any more.
CREATE/200 tells you it didn't exist before. Unclear whether this has
any bearing on corresponds_to, but it does say that observations after
deletion or before creation can't exist.
6. 410 says it doesn't "reside" at the server any more... "residence"
not modeled.

I was astounded to find the following in HTTPbis in the description of 303:
"The Location URI indicates a resource that is descriptive of the
requested resource"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-06#section-8.3.4

Jonathan