RE: Are generic resources intentional?

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 12:50 +0000, Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
wrote:
> David,
>
> I think the point of Alan's question is not so much about whether the
> file (and hence its representations) can be subject to change, but
> about whether its is the file itself[*] that is the responding entity
> or the thing (filing system) that acts as its container.

Right, and part of the point of my response (though I guess I didn't
make it very clear) was that there is no architectural relevance to the
file itself.  It only matters (architecturally) to the extent that (as
Pat described in a separate message) it is "incorporated into something
larger that CAN respond to a transfer protocol request".  So if it is
indeed hosted on the web like this then it becomes relevant to the
architecture and we can think of it as being a partially constant
function, either from time and requests to representations or from time
to sets of representations.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)