Re: Learning from other disciplines?

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/26 Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi Alan,

>>> Yes, it is true that in the scenario described, if AKT had been modeled
>>> as a class rather than as an instance, the relationship between AKT and
>>> AKT1, AKT2 and AKT3 could have been expressed merely as a subclass
>>> relationship.  That is an important point.  But the point of this scenario
>>> is not to debate whether Jann *should* have modeled AKT as a class or an
>>> individual.  The point is that, as long as individuals are used, they will
>>> sometimes be ambiguous (at least to some applications -- they may be precise
>>> enough for others), and in such cases we need a way to deal with it without
>>> breaking existing applications.
>>
>> This is where we disagree. I don't think we should be spending our
>> time teaching people hacky workarounds for poor modeling. We need to
>> spend our time having people think clearly about modeling in the first
>> place.
>
> This however presupposes that (1) there are clear, universally applicable,
> rules of 'good' modeling, and (2) that someone knows what they are. At the
> present time, (2) is clearly false, and (1) is seriously doubtful: all the
> evidence suggests otherwise. Quite awful views on what is "good" and what is
> not (such as insisting upon the close-to-incoherent distinction between
> continuants and processes, based on idiosyncratic views held by a small
> cabal of philosophers and based on late-19th century phenomenology) have
> been already incorporated into deployed standards, for example, where they
> will cause harm to interoperability for years, probably centuries, to come.

Pat,

This has nothing to do with continuants versus processes, and yes, I
do think there are some rules of good modeling, of which thinking is a
first prerequisite. This AKT example has been mentioned too many times
and it is clear that independent of any 'introduced' ambiguity, the
modeling choice is unexplained and incoherent from the getgo. No
amount of patching will fix it.

I note that David given *no* definitions for any of the terms he uses.
Shall we at least agree that minimal documentation of the terms one
uses, in natural language, is a universally applicable good modeling
practice? At least when attempting to write in a scholarly way about
modeling?

> If you believe that ambiguity can be entirely eliminated by "good practice",
> then I venture to suggest that your advice will be one of the enduring
> problems for future knowledge workers.

I don't believe I said that. I said that in this case one needs not
bring in any new terminology to see what's gone wrong - that applying
basic knowledge of how to model (starting with saying what your
instances mean) leads to a situation in which one needs not introduce
Dave's hacky solution.

> And this will be true pretty much
> independently of the advice itself, because whatever you tell people to do,
> other people will choose, for excellent reasons, to do the opposite.

Sure, and there will be people claiming that the earth was created
5000 years ago. They just shouldn't be doing science.

-Alan