RE: AWWSW telecon, Tues Feb 3

> From: Jonathan Rees [mailto:jar@creativecommons.org]
>
> How would this be useful?

This group has been struggling for over a year to understand and explain what an "information resource" is and what it really means when a 200 response is returned upon dereferencing a URI.  These questions boil down to fundamental architectural questions of how identity is determined and what it means for a URI to "denote" a resource.  The kind of ambiguity described below is specifically the kind that is causing so much consternation: it cuts to the heart of why

> Ambiguity in our context can be treated with RDF and OWL semantics:
> you can have multiple models of the same set of axioms, and
> the choice
> of model is up to whoever is trying to interpret the axioms.

Sure it can be, but the result is that one doesn't gain the insight that could otherwise be gained.  Punting the problem off to a little cloud labeled "interpretation" doesn't help.  The AWWW says
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#id-resources
"By design a URI identifies one resource".  But the fact is, a URI does *not* always identify only one thing.   Ambiguity is inescapable, so we don't get ourselves very far by trying to punt on what it means and how we can deal with.

David Booth