RE: plain literals without language tag compare xsd:string in RDF

From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:31:03 +0000
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
CC: "public-awwsw@w3.org" <public-awwsw@w3.org>, "Carroll, Jeremy John" <jeremy.carroll@hp.com>

Alan,

I raised you question with my colleague, Jeremy Carrol (Cc'd) who responded as follows:

<quote>
They are identical

"foo" owl:sameAs "foo"^^xsd:string .

is necessarily true.

http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/datatypes/test011a.nt
entails
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/datatypes/test011b.nt
as recorded in the RDF Test Cases doc

Jeremy
</quote>

In a further exchange he also confirmed/clarified that it is neccessarily the case that:

        "1234" owl:sameAs "1234"^^xsd:string .

ie. (I think) that means that:

        "1234" owl:sameAs "1234"^^xsd:integer .  ## or some other numeric datatype.

is necessarily false (which is what I would expect).

Cheers,

Stuart
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England