RE: Provenance (was HTTP mechanics +1, IR semantics -1)

> From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
> [ . . . ]
> FWIW: I've alway's had a bit of a problem wrt to RFDa and
> GRDDL wrt to media-types and intentions. Both RDFa and GRDDL
> enable 'triples' to be 'extracted' from
> (webarch:representations of) document (like-things). What is
> *much* less clear is whether its was the intent of the
> orginal author to incant such triples.
> [ . . . ]

FYI, the GRDDL working group explicitly dealt with that question.  From the GRDDL spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#sec_rend
[[
Faithful Renditions(link)

By specifying a GRDDL transformation, the author of a document states that the transformation will provide a faithful rendition in RDF of information (or some portion of the information) expressed through the XML dialect used in the source document.

Likewise, by specifying a GRDDL namespace transformation or profile transformation, the creator of that namespace or profile states that the transformation will provide a faithful RDF rendition of a class of source documents which relate to that namespace or profile. A namespace document or a profile document also provide a means for their authors to explain in prose the purpose of the transformation or any policy statements.
]]

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.