Re: Inference rules for HTTP, etc.

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:07:04 -0500
Cc: public-awwsw@w3.org
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
awww:Resource a rdfs:Class ;
         rdf:comment "A resource, as defined in http://www.w3.org/TR/
webarch/#def-resource : 'We do not limit the scope of what might be a
resource.  The term ''resource'' is used in a general sense for
whatever might be identified by a URI. It is conventional on the
hypertext Web to describe Web pages, images, product catalogs, etc.
as ''resources''." .

At the risk of beating a dead horse, this definition does not come
out and say that everything is a resource. It only makes the weaker
statement that anything *might* be a resource, and then
(contradicting what the second part of the first sentence says)
limits "resource" further to those things that might be named by a
URI (without saying what might or might not be named by a URI).

I would prefer to abandon the AWWW definition for the purpose of
defining a class and use either with Tim's (and RDF's) definition
(everything is a resource), or some other more precise definition
such as RFC 2616's or Fielding's [1]. Or, even better, avoid the word
"resource" entirely in this context in favor of "thing".

Fortunately you never use awww:Resource, so it would be safe to just
remove it from rules.n3.

I see that your rules imply that 200-responders aren't physical
things, which is good. The only consequence of something being an
awww:InformationResource is that it is abstract, however. It might be
nice to be able to deduce that 200-responders are not other kinds of
abstract things such as numbers or representations (as Tim has
repeatedly asserted).

[1] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/
rest_arch_style.htm