RE: HTTP inference rules [was: AWWSW minutes from today]

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:55:26 +0000
To: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>
CC: "public-awwsw@w3.org" <public-awwsw@w3.org>

> From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
> [ . . . ]
> > From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
> > [ . . . ]
> >  If so, then the URI is being declared differently at
> > different times, i.e., the same URI is used to denote
> > different things at different times, which is one form of URI
> > collision. (I.e., the same party is using the URI to denote
> > different things at different times, rather than different
> > parties using the URI to denote different things.) If that
> > isn't what you are talking about then please explain.
>
> I don't quite know how to square that with an earlier response
> which seemed to take a relaxed stance about can be
> 'in' a URI declaration.

It isn't exactly a relaxed stance, but a recognition that the architecture cannot prevent people from making poor quality URI declarations -- URI declarations that do not adequately distinguish the resource from other resources -- or conflicting URI declarations, either at one time or over time.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.