Re: Virtual introductions re ODRL usage in the automotive world...

From: Renato Iannella <renato.iannella@monegraph.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:48:26 +1000
Cc: Benedict Whittam Smith <benedict.whittamsmith@thomsonreuters.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, public-autowebplatform <public-autowebplatform@w3.org>
To: ted@w3.org
Hi Ted…I find the best option is to develop example use cases for your purposes and specifically frame the stories using the concepts from the ODRL Info Model [1].

The ODRL CG would then be happy to review and look at mapping options and any gaps that a “Auto” Profile would capture.

Renato

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/#infoModel <https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/#infoModel>

> [...]
> with the common data model our spec references, the OBD2 data port
> possibly going away and regulators likely requiring some information as
> the do for heavy vehicles not to mention all the business interests in
> this information.
>
> I reached out to Eric Prud'hommeaux to learn what they might be using
> for in the Healthcare and Life Sciences area. Challenge he conveyed in
> using policy languages for capturing user (patient) consent is
> communicating clearly and concisely the nuances of intricate
> permissions pertaining to specific data points and their permitted
> usage. We have the same need in automotive when dealing with an end
> user (driver). Fleet management companies will be able to handle
> reviewing more complex agreements.
>
> On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 11:07 +0000,
> benedict.whittamsmith@thomsonreuters.com <mailto:benedict.whittamsmith@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ted,
>>
>> Thanks for getting in touch. I'm really excited about the challenges
>> the automotive sector will bring to big data.
>>
>> The 'compare XACML and ODRL' question comes up a lot. So here's my
>> take:
>>
>> XACML models access control decisions. ODRL models licenses and
>> regulations.
>>
>> Imagine you had a complex, UNIX-style access control system and you
>> wanted to make some sense of it: use XACML.
>>
>> Imagine you had a bunch on licenses or regulations you wanted to
>> express and enforce: use ODRL.
>>
>> Our business problem at TR is to map from licenses and regulations to
>> access control decisions. To understand the licenses and regulations
>> we need ODRL. XACML has nothing to say.
>>
>> To then make the access control decisions we could use XACML, but
>> ODRL has already taken us most of the way. The XACML is now repeating
>> the parts of the ODRL relevant to access control decisions, just in a
>> different/parallel formalism.
>>
>> But the parts of XACML that ODRL does not touch are the architectural
>> elements: PDPs, PEPs, PIPs, … Here ODRL has nothing to say, so we're
>> borrowing from XACML.
>>
>> Both standards need to be situated within wider information models.
>> We have one that formalises the relationship between:
>> * data resources;
>> * the supplier agreements and regulations that control their use;
>> * the content services we provide our customers;
>> * and the products we sell to them.
>>
>> This allows us to guarantee compliance.
>>
>> We have another that maps the permissions described by ODRL and the
>> actual underlying data models that physically describe the data
>> (stream topics, database rows ...).
>>
>> This allows us to automate access control.
>>
>> We're just at the start of this. TR is teetering on the edge of
>> looking to standardise all these models across the financial data
>> supply chain. But it's the age old debate: secret sauce or wider
>> enabler.
>>
>> Hope this helps. Happy to answer any further questions,

>>> iv
>>> e-
>>> big-data-task-force/
>>>
>>> Wiki has the areas under consideration for exploration listed.
>>> Presently most of the interest is around consent capture, data
>>> contracts and ontology work on the data model.
>>>
>>> https://www.w3.org/community/autowebplatform/wiki/Data_tf
>>>
>>> I was encouraged to take a look at ODRL and met with Ivan. It
>>> looks very pertinent for granularly representing the types of
>>> relationships we want for indicating what information can be
>>> shared with which third parties plus some of our other potential
>>> needs. My understanding from Ivan is customized profiles for
>>> different purposes are necessary and you might be able to point
>>> me to one.
>>>
>>> The impression Ivan had is that ODRL has seen uptake in news and
>>> media industry. Is there wider interest or any more generic and
>>> ideally open source implementations? Commercial options also of
>>> interest but experimenting would be facilitated by something more
>>> readily available.
>>>
>>> I am pleased to hear the work on a next version is continuing in a
>>> CG.
>>> If this seems pertinent, or to explore further if it might be, some
>>> of
>>> us would like to attend a CG call or invite you to one of our task
>>> force calls.
>>>
>>> Any examples and insight appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,

>> --
>> Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
>> W3C Automotive Lead
>> http://www.w3.org
>>

> --
> Ted Guild <ted@w3.org <mailto:ted@w3.org>>
> W3C Automotive Lead
> http://www.w3.org <http://www.w3.org/>
Renato Iannella, Monegraph
Co-Chair, W3C Permissions & Obligations Expression (POE) Working Group