From: Streif, Rudolf [mailto:rstreif@partner.jaguarlandrover.com]
Sent: den 1 december 2018 01:08
To: T Guild <ted@w3.org>
Cc: public-autowebplatform <public-autowebplatform@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Roving air quality monitor example data usage

Ted,

This is a great example albeit not so much for air quality data but for the complexity of policies.

Briefly addressing air quality data: I think that is better measured by putting the relevant sensor into the areas of interest (cities, parks, etc.) then using vehicles, as other environmental data has to be measured e.g. wind speed and direction. However, that data is typically not provided by a vehicle sensor (it's also not really feasible to measure unless the vehicle does not move). The set of data you are mentioning, only provides information on how much that particular vehicle contributes to air quality. To get a good air quality measurement one would need pretty much the data from all vehicles in that particular area for it to be somewhat reliable.

Looking at the policy: how would that be presented to an end-user? The example has 10 sensor data points.

Scenario 1: "Dear Driver, MIT's Environmental Institute would like to collect the following data form your vehicle to assess the air quality in Boston: rain intensity, air temperature, engine mass air flow, long term O2 trim 1, O2 Senors WR, O2 Sensor Alt, longitude, latitude, altitude. Do you agree to collecting that data? Yes/No"

Driver 1 to MIT: "I appreciate the detail but you lost me at 'engine mass air flow' but I do understand longitude, latitude and altitude and I am not sure if I want you to know where I am driving."
Driver 2 to MIT: "What the ..."
Driver 3 to MIT: "Of course, it must be for a good cause, I trust MIT and I always click on Yes anyway."

Scenario 2: "Dear Driver, MIT's Environmental Institute would like to collect data from your vehicle to assess the air quality in Boston. Do you agree to collecting that data? Yes/No"

Driver 1 to MIT: "I am environmentally conscious but could you please tell me what data you are collecting?"
Driver 2 to MIT: "Another one of these spy apps..."
Driver 3 to MIT: "Of course, it must be for a good cause, I trust MIT and I always click on Yes anyway."

Scenario 3: "Dear Driver, MIT's Environmental Institute would like to collect data from your vehicle to assess the air quality in Boston. The data includes how much your vehicle contributes to the pollution as well as the current position of your vehicle and environmental information such as current air temperature and if it is currently raining and how much. We do not collect any personally identifiable data such as what car you are driving, vehicle identification etc. All data is collected anonymously  Do you agree to collecting that data? Yes/No"

Driver 1 to MIT: "Good idea. Deal!"
Driver 2 to MIT: "How does Google define 'anonymous' again?"
Driver 3 to MIT: "Of course, it must be for a good cause, I trust MIT and I always click on Yes anyway."

For me the most important part of all policy systems is presentation to the user. For this example, the user does not have any direct negative experience when not allowing the collection of the data. However, there are applications that provide the user with a benefit but sometimes the benefit does not seem to be directly related to the data accessed. These examples are even more complicated, as now the user should also be given information on how declining the request would impact the benefits.

:rjs