Re: Monthly conf call for Sept - next Tuesday 9/16

From: Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:44:00 -0400
To: "Abramski, Adam M" <adam.m.abramski@intel.com>
Cc: "public-autowebplatform@w3.org" <public-autowebplatform@w3.org>, Paul Boyes <pb@opencar.com>
Minutes are online [1] and attached.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/16-auto-minutes

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Systems Team

   [1]W3C

                      Automotive and Web Platform BG call

   [2]Agenda

   See also: [3]IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Nick_QNX, TJ, tripzero, ph, Abramski, Aldric-PSA, hiro_ito, Raj,
          LeonardNieman, Vadim, hirabayashi, moriguchi, urata_access,
          KevG, Paul_Boyes, murakami_JEITA, sakamoto_JEITA, ahessemann,
          Isobe, Ted, Kaz

   Regrets
   Chair
          Adam, Paul

   Scribe
          ted

Contents

     * [4]Topics
     * [5]Summary of Action Items

   Adam reviews agenda and reminds people to register for F2F

   -> [6]https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/61259/20141009-AnnArborF2F/ F2F
   registration form

   Adam: the f2f will be held during [7]Genivi OpenAutomotive meeting in
   Ypsilanti, Michigan
   ... we will be going over any public comments we receive on the draft
   spec. none have been received to date
   ... we will be on our own for food on Friday. Thursday they'll provide
   us lunch
   ... not sure how long we'll go on Friday, depends on the agenda
   ... some of the Genivi folks cannot attend on Thursday and will be
   there on Friday
   ... we hope to have input from location services people in Genivi. they
   will produce a POC (Proof-Of-Concept) which will influence the API
   needs
   ... we also will get a POC from speech interaction people, likely will
   focus on the API sent through Speech Community Group by Google
   ... from conversation with Philippe at Genivi it is not apparent they
   have accomplished what they intended, report pending.
   ... Vadim suggested we should discuss security from SysApps security
   sub group
   ... last topic will likely be the formation of the WG itself
   ... we have been asking for a co-chair to work with Paul for the group.
   I'm interested but we would like to have a tier-1 or OEM in this
   position
   ... I haven't heard from Kevron yet
   ... If nobody steps forth I will discuss time requirement with my
   organization

   Vadim: do we expect the WG to be formed in October?

   Adam: from conversation with Alan and Philipp from W3C it seems like it
   might be later
   ... Possibly January timeframe given holiday season

   Vadim: will QNX be participating at the F2F

   Tina: I don't think Mark or I will be there

   Mark: We would need to make the case to attend

   Vadim: development around permissions of SysApp group there are
   important areas we will want to go into from those who have existing
   ecosystems

   <kaz> ted: explains the procedure of Chartering a WG

   <kaz> ... W3M review and then AC Member review

   <kaz> ... could be more like November than January

   Adam: send comments to public list or BG chairs and W3C staff
   ... Philipp, when would you like comments back on charter?

   Philipp: we have another step to do so perhaps 2 weeks for comments
   from this group

   Paul: we need variability among the different ways OEMs do this and
   extensibility

   scribe: for example wheel speed versus wheel tick
   ... you don't want an explosion of data elements but balance against
   how they presently do things
   ... we need to get some OEMs in the room to address these
   inconsistencies
   ... there is also the question of what to do when they want to extend
   ... we should put nodes in the spec

   Kevron: you're not saying internal inconsistencies within the spec but
   differences between OEM practices and the spec?

   Paul: yes, we may have different data in their can
   ... we need a pattern for dealing with these mappings
   ... we'll run into this when people start doing implementations

   Kevron: so we should document how we recommend people handle this?

   Paul: Yes. We can handle most cases but there are some that are not
   obvious or not possible
   ... people might not implement a given piece or refuse to expose some
   data points
   ... they can implement whatever they want clearly but we should have
   guidelines

   Vadim: OEM certainly can do things differently. we need to have this
   discussion to be sure we have agreement among ourselves and using data
   in the same way

   Paul: there are cases where you just cannot map states of things like
   wheel speed and ticks

   Philipp: we came across this earlier at qnx design guidelines

   Paul: there will be some cases variability and extensibility

   Adam: looking forward to seeing people in three weeks
   ... we need to focus on what this group wants to tackle after this
   spec. is it use cases, coordination with other W3C activities and that
   will influence the charter

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [8]scribe.perl version 1.138
    ([9]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-09-16 15:42:31 $