RE: Vehicle Information API Draft Now Published

Thanks for the comments, Kevron, please see some responses below

-----Original Message-----
From: Rees, Kevron [mailto:kevron.m.rees@intel.com]
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 9:01 AM
To: Vadim Draluk
Cc: Paul Boyes; public-autowebplatform@w3.org; internal-autowebplatform@w3.org
Subject: Re: Vehicle Information API Draft Now Published

A few comments about the doc:

About VehicleInterface...  While I agree that certain values are unlikely to change in a typical setup, I'm not convinced they will never change in any setup.  Take for example a use case where I take my vehicle-aware smartphone from one vehicle to the other.  If these values do not indicate to the app they have changed, the user will have to close the app and restart it.  Do we want to support this type of use-case?  I defer to the wisdom of the group.  It's also possible to mark the subscribe, unsubscribe and set as nullable types indicating that they may not always be available depending on the attribute's characteristics.

I do not believe the use case you described above should at all be supported. Subscription should be for changes within one vehicle anyway, even if the runtime is executed in a mobile device. And I do not believe that the scenario as described should require an app restart: if we decide to support mobile platforms and off-board runtimes, we will have to add APIs around the Vehicle interface, allowing for multiple instances of such, and introducing notions of “available” and “unavailable”, all of which will be mobile-specific

I don't have a huge problem with being more specific in the types of access interfaces we use.  Let me know what the group decides and I'll make the change if any.

Your Availability and identification recommendations makes sense to me.

-Kevron

PS.  If possible, I'd prefer these types of discussions to happen directly in email rather than via an attachment.  It's easier for me to inline comments in emails.

Understood, will do as directed