From: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org<mailto:ph@w3.org>>
Date: Thursday, 17 April, 2014 12:05 PM
To: Marc Lapierre <mlapierre@qnx.com<mailto:mlapierre@qnx.com>>
Cc: "Abramski, Adam M" <adam.m.abramski@intel.com<mailto:adam.m.abramski@intel.com>>, Tina Jeffrey <tjeffrey@qnx.com<mailto:tjeffrey@qnx.com>>, "public-autowebplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-autowebplatform@w3.org>" <public-autowebplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-autowebplatform@w3.org>>, Nik Schultz <nschultz@qnx.com<mailto:nschultz@qnx.com>>, "Vadim Draluk (vadim.draluk@gm.com<mailto:vadim.draluk@gm.com>)" <vadim.draluk@gm.com<mailto:vadim.draluk@gm.com>>, Brian Leroux <brianl@adobe.com<mailto:brianl@adobe.com>>
Subject: Re: Cordova

On 4/16/2014 6:10 PM, Marc Lapierre wrote:
Hi guys,

The idea behind Cordova for us is that is that it is essentially the main cross platform method of providing access to native services. With the proposed implementation, the vehicle object living inside the navigator object implies that the API will live on the web platform directly. There's nothing wrong with this per se, however this implies that the APIs will only be accessible on browser runtimes on the vehicle itself. If that is the goal, then this is certainly the more efficient way to implement this API.

One of our goals is to take this API and make it available to remote devices for connection to the vehicle. We don't expect those devices to have the vehicle APIs implemented into their web platform. Cordova allows us to add the APIs to any device, regardless of their web platform implementation

That said, there is nothing technically stopping us from making a Cordova plugin that will simply add the API onto the navigator object. It isn't really the typical way of doing thing,

I'm not sure it isn't the typical say of doing things in Cordova - I'm not a great expert, but at least, quickly checking the camera API, at least the camera seems to be added to the navigator object in Cordova  - quoting from
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#Camera

navigator.camera.getPicture<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#camera.getPicture>( cameraSuccess<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#cameraSuccess>
, cameraError<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#cameraError>, [ cameraOptions<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#cameraOptions> ] );

So is compass

navigator.compass.getCurrentHeading<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compass.getCurrentHeading>(compassSuccess<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compassSuccess>, compassError<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compassError>, compassOptions<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compassOptions>);

(won't go through all of them)

My main comment was more to keep in mind how a typical implementation will look in the grand scheme of things, and to start thinking about how a remote device implementation would work.

I'm not aware of Cordova being used for APIs to remote devices (but again, I'm far from an expert) - however, more generally, I've seen JS app architectures (at least on paper) where a "local api" would be proxied and any calls then redirected to the remote device - this would be transparent to the caller - I'd assume one could do the same for a vehicle API running on a phone