RE: Standardized endpoint name for VISS (was: Re: Request to make the issue list for VISS)

Hi Kevin,

I totally agree with a) you mentioned. I’d like to put it as a basic premise.

However, I’m not sure we should consider the multiple VIS servers on local network. As I understood, there are multiple VIS servers in the same local network and we’d like to connect to the server using a special host name like ‘wwwivi’. If right, it would be strange that two or more VIS servers can’t be operated at the same time.

When a server operates well, it gets an assigned IP address as an entry point so that clients can connect to the server. If someone tries to execute a server using specific IP address and port while the IP address and port are already used in existing server to receive a request through ‘wwwivi’, it will fail. The reason of failure is that ‘wwwivi’ will eventually  be resolved to the specific IP address and port to connect to VIS server, and to do so, the VIS server should be run with the IP address and port to be connected from the client using ‘wwwivi’. What I want to say is that the multiple VIS servers with same IP address and port can’t execute at the same time.

I agree that OEM want to use the multiple VIS servers on the same vehicle network. To support this case, there would be several bypass ways like using redirected(301 in case of HTTP), assigning dedicated port area, and selecting default VIS server through a communication between VIS servers. I guess Gunnar seem to consider one of these candidates in the mail below. If we define the special host name properly in our standard scope, OEM will be able to use it for their requirements without any problems at least on the multiple server issues.

Thanks,

Hyojin