Re: Attempting to achieve consensus re. wwwivi issue (#223)

Part of the pushback on wwwivi even with .local is that it amounts to
name squatting. We do not own .local so cannot lay claim to a name
there.

Mark Nottingham asked if we considered a w3.org hostname as the
fallback with discovery still being the preferred method. Typically I
have authority on w3.org subdomains but since it is for a
specification, would need to get Director approval.

https://github.com/w3c/automotive/issues/233

Since there are cases that may have multiple VISS implementations in
the same network, or have client devices introduced, discovery is
needed. I have the impression the TAG will block us if we do not have
it and will accept a reasonable fallback default name that will be
usable in the simpler cases (one VISS service on a fixed network).

Discovery makes things complicated for client applications and may have
other negative implications such as introducing ways to attack the
client. These would need to be worked through. We could publish a
snapshot of the Editors Draft as a Working Draft with a w3.org hostname
(pending approval) while we figure out the discovery issues.

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Systems Team