Re: REMINDER: W3C Automotive WG Phone Meeting

Hi,

I've also added comments to the spreadsheet referenced by Junichi.

Re: Set Function

I agree with Junichi's comments that it is problematic to provide this
capability until it can be done securely, but would like to develop the
argument at little further:

If sufficiently secure mechanisms cannot be created to prevent an attacker
taking control of safety critical functions, it may be the case that such
systems will have to be protected using an 'Air Gap' - please see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_(networking)

It may be the case that sufficiently secure mechanisms for authenticating
and authorising the entity sending the request will be created to allow
setting values on non safety critical systems like the Infotainment System
(or in most climates) the Comfort Bus and that setting safety critical
values like steering wheel, brake or accelerator position are either not
allowed at all (because of security concerns) or are only allowed if
vehicle is in a special mode where e.g. speed is very restricted to e.g.
5mph.

I'm afraid I won't be able to attend the call today as it is at 12-1am
local time, but will read the outcome with great interest.

Best wishes,

Kevin

*Kevin Gavigan BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, MCP MCTS*
*Software Architect*

*Connected Infotainment*

*Mobile: 07990 084866*
*Email:* kgavigan@jaguarlandrover.com

*Office address:*
*GO03/057** • **Building 523, **Gaydon** • **Maildrop: (G03)*
*Jaguar Land Rover • Banbury Road • Gaydon • Warwick • CV35 0RR*