RE: Agenda for 9 October 2014 auto-WCAG call

Hi Wilco,

Couple of thoughts on 2.4.2 tests.......

----------------
SC2-4-2-title
----------------

Quick suggestions for the manual check/prompt for SC2-4-2-title
(https://www.w3.org/community/auto-wcag/wiki/SC2-4-2-title )

Step 4
Template:Manual

"Look at the content of the page. Does the title describe the content of the
web page? "

KHS: Suggest using more generic word 'Check' over 'Look'. Partially, in case
the person using the tool cannot see, and partially because it make more
sense for a test tool.

An additional manual check, of course, is to check the text in the browser
tab, for that page. This information could be included in the original
check......

"Check the content of the page. Does the title, displayed in the browser
bar/tab, describe the content of the web page? "

It goes without saying that the text that is shown on the tab is the same
text that is in the title element of the page head.

A question I have, are we including mobile tests?  Because if we are then
what I suggest for the tab will not work, as in a mobile environment tabs
are not generally visible, but are read out by mobile screen readers. So if
the answer to the mobile question is yes, then I will have to rephrase the
wording to.....

"Check the content of the page. Does the title (often displayed in the
browser bar/tab), describe the content of the web page?"

---------------------------------
SC2-4-2-titles-across-pages
---------------------------------

I am sure that the 50% measure was discussed in the group, trying to address
web applications such as email, but still that seems too high in my mind. I
also think a manual prompt needs to be included for this test.

My suggestion would be to lower the threshold to 10%, and then add this
manual check.
My suggestion for an manual check after the first automated one FAILED would
be a prompt that says:

"Check the repeated non-unique title instances. Are the repeated page titles
are due to a limitation of a web application functional units (i.e., email
inbox, email drafts, search results, and <need other examples here>)?"

If yes, do not fail.

If no, fail.

I agree that this is not a perfect suggestion - mbut I am hoping to spark
some additional comment on this one.......:-)

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Senior Accessibility SME (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)

Cell: 703-371-5545 | ryladog@gmail.com | Oakton, VA | LinkedIn Profile |