Re: Worklets spec status ?

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for letting the WG know about the updates to Houdini and for
the continued work in this area.

The Houdini work is the gating item for closing one of the key feature gaps
in the Audio API, named AudioWorker -- perhaps Paul has already explained
this to you, so please forgive any repetition. The WG is following the
Worklets progress with great interest, but I think our group doesn't have a
clear picture of the nature of these new WHATWG module dependencies just
mentioned, nor of their timeline. Personally I'm not yet educated enough
about Worklets and module scripts to offer a reasonable response on the
merits. The main thing that I've just learned is that the brand new thing
our spec depends on may now depend on something else that is also brand new.

At the suggestion of Chris Lilley (our W3C contact), I'd like to invite you
to an Audio WG call so that we can have a direct discussion with you. The
goal would be to understand jointly the best way to bring the combination
of Houdini and Web Audio to a place that delivers the features we need. Web
Audio has several implementations in the field receiving heavy use, and the
AudioWorker feature is the single biggest gap impeding its wider adoption.

Are you up for such a talk with the WG, and could we tentatively try to
schedule this for 2 weeks (or some multiple thereof) from Thursday at 12
noon Boston? (25 February, 12 noon EST)  I think it would be a great help
to have you and appreciate your consideration.

Best,

.            .       .    .  . ...Joe

Joe Berkovitz
Co-chair W3C Audio WG