Re: New name for "AudioWorker"

From: Paul Adenot <padenot@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 18:15:10 +0200
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Cc: "public-audio@w3.org Group" <public-audio@w3.org>, Shane Stephens <shanestephens@google.com>, Ian Vollick <vollick@chromium.org>, Ian Kilpatrick <ikilpatrick@google.com>
On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 6:07 PM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com> wrote:

> Why isn't this thing a worker? What forces workers to be heavyweight?

This is outlined here:

https://github.com/WebAudio/web-audio-api/issues/532

In short, the only things that this new thing and a worker have in common
is that they run script and are not on the main thread. This new thing is
kind of the opposite of a worker in fact.

> Also, would be good to align with the Houdini folks on this as they're
> proposing similar things in the rendering and compositing space.

That's absolutely the goal, I'm trying to find the right venue and people
to CC as we speak.

Thanks,
Paul.